Saturday, June 6, 2009

Russell turned 8


A week ago our Russell turned 8!!

This was his year to have a friends party and after some thought he decided he wanted an Indiana Jones party.

So I started to surf the web for some ideas.

I found out how to make "treasure rocks", Indiana Jones pouches, and what to hide in a pile of sand for an archeological dig.

I put Todd in charge of an Indiana type obstacle course. He does much better thinking outside the box than I do and he turned out a winner for the 12 boys at the party.

We gave each boy a Holy Grail journal with an alphabet code and some messages to decode. There was also some Indy trivia to answer while they waited for everyone.

Todd's obstacle course included swinging water tubes (the swinging swords from "The Last Crusade"), a swing over a snake pit, a pass over a bridge of faith ("Last Crusade"), natives armed with ammunition in the form of small plastic balls ("Temple of Doom"), and a dig for treasure in a huge pile of sand.




















The boys decoded a secret message to find The Lost Ark with it's hidden treasure and had punch in coconut cups with lunch with funny names.

It was great that Russell got to have his party on his actual birthday. I don't think that has ever happened in our history of parties.

He is such a sweet boy. I can't believe that he is now 8.

He will be getting baptized in a week. We are expecting his grandparents this week and look forward to spending some time with all of them.

Besides all the gifts from friends, a new DS game, and scriptures with a scripture bag (from Mom & Dad) Russell got his summer buzz cut for his birthday.

Don't you think he looks handsome?


Some things that make Russell who he is:

*his laugh. No matter what I'm doing, if I hear Russell laugh it makes me smile (I'm smiling just thinking about it)

*his love of video games. Right now he's all into his Nintendo DS that he purchased with his own money.

*his love for music. He plays the piano and actually is enjoying it now. He also loves to sing. His favorite church song is " I Believe in Christ"

*his drive. Russell played baseball this spring and is now on the neighborhood swim team. He loves to improve himself.

*his smile. Russell has a deep set of dimples and when he smiles, he lights up the room.

*his sweetness. He always makes sure he gives me a kiss after family prayer (he also makes sure he gets one in return.)

It makes me a little sad to think my boy is growing up but I can't wait to see what he becomes.

When Russell was younger he loved to have me sing "Puff the Magic Dragon" to him at bedtime. The phrase "Dragons live forever, but not so little boys. Painted wings and giant things make way for other toys" always choked me up when I sang it to him.

It does even now as I think of how Russell's growing up and moving on to "other things". That song will always hold a special place in my heart and I will always associate it with my Russell.

Happy (late) Birthday sweetheart!!









No comments:

Post a Comment